PDA

View Full Version : checklist for setup and leaving camp

wagtail
10-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Hello, I am a newbie, "wagtail" (Carol) in Lakewood, Colorado. My husband Gary and I have an Arctic Fox 22H, and we love it! We are looking for a detailed list of steps to go through when we arrive at our campsite (a clearing in the woods) to set up our trailer, and also a list for when we are ready to break camp. The list in the manual doesn't seem very complete, and we seem to always be forgetting some step, or doing them in the wrong order to get the trailer set up and everything operating.

We figured that many of you more experienced trailer owners must have checklists that you follow. Would you be willing to share them with us? Or perhaps you can direct me to where these are already posted on this wonderful forum.

Sincerely,
Carol, Gary, and the wagging tails of Jasper and Coaly
________
2004 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
Hensley Arrow Hitch

Adam
10-13-2006, 05:48 PM
:)Well I didn't find anything earth shattering but here is a link to a few check lists(click on the "comments" to view them)

http://www.rvnetlinx.com/wpclists.php

foxyrvlady
10-13-2006, 11:11 PM
From the rv.net forum: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/264829.cfm

This FAQ listing has tons of links to a lot of good information on many aspects of RVing for beginners and old timers alike!

kcmckenzie
10-14-2006, 12:02 AM
wagtail wrote:
Hello, I am a newbie, "wagtail" (Carol) in Lakewood, Colorado. My husband Gary and I have an Arctic Fox 22H, and we love it!

Hi wagtail,

I'm a Carol from Colorado, too! :) Ken and I are new to hard-side camping, as we just got our 27-5L 5th wheel in January. Before that we had a pop-up.

Our procedures are generally to secure anything loose, close anything that opens, clean up outside, hook up and pull out. It's really a bit more involved, but we're finally getting into somewhat of a routine. It was a lot more involved with the pop-up. I checked out the links thatfoxyrvlady and Adam posted...lots of good ideas and checklists.

Happy camping! :D

sly old fox
10-14-2006, 01:28 AM
Welcome wagtail. I see that you also have one of the most popular AF products - the 22H. When we arrive at the campsite and get backed in, the DW handles the dogs while I level the unit side to side - by driving up on blocks if needed. Once the side to side is set, I unhitch and level front to rear. Now DW can get in and start her setup. I begin by opening the gas valves, and the front rock guard. Next I move to the power hook-up and then the water. Next I put down the jacks. By this time the DW has fired up the hot water heater, turned on the refer, and all that stuff. The last thing we do is put out the awning - a two person job. All of this takes about 10-15min tops. My only inside job is the TV and I do that after every thing else is done.

Tear down is the reverse of setup

Hope this helps

Banjomama
10-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Welcome Carol, you aren't far away. We live in the Springs. You came to the right place to get all the information you need about your AF. Everyone is helpful, if you have a question just ask. Hope you enjoy your 22H. Foxylady has given me a list of where she puts things in her AF 25R, however, you still may be able to use it you'd like it. Send me a private message and I will e-mail it to you. If you are new to camping you picked the right TT to get started with, if you are veterans at it, you still picked the right TT to continue the experience with. We've owned a Jayco, our 25R is the Taj Mahal compared to that. We love it. Enjoy, and again Welcome to our forum, the best there is. :D

P.S.What kind ofa dogs do you have?

vsop
10-14-2006, 02:16 PM
wagtail wrote:
We are looking for a detailed list of steps to go through when we arrive at our campsite (a clearing in the woods) to set up our trailer, and also a list for when we are ready to break camp.

(1). Get a cold beer out of the reefer.

(2). Place the beer on the floor on its side, if it rolls you need to level up.

(3). If it rolls fast, *get a secondopinion. (*another beer)

(4). Check manual for leveling up.

(5). Get the folding lounge set up level. (*another beer)

(6). Take a nap

(7). Repeat #1 at end of nap, check level....

vixen
10-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Procrastin8or wrote:
wagtail wrote:
We are looking for a detailed list of steps to go through when we arrive at our campsite (a clearing in the woods) to set up our trailer, and also a list for when we are ready to break camp.

(1). Get a cold beer out of the reefer.

(2). Place the beer on the floor on its side, if it rolls you need to level up.

(3). If it rolls fast, *get a secondopinion. (*another beer)

(4). Check manual for leveling up.

(5). Get the folding lounge set up level. (*another beer)

(6). Take a nap

(7). Repeat #1 at end of nap, check level....

Gosh - how come your list is so much more comprehensive than mine? - I like yours best :cool:have added it to the beginning :D

Vixen

wagtail
10-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks to all of you who replied to my question. You supplied lots of good ideas, resources, and humor, too! I've visited the links and printed some lists.

Thanks also for the warm welcome to the group! Very much appreciated.

Okay, here's another question (for dog lovers only): what are your suggested sleeping configurations for fitting 2 people and 2 Labradors into the 22H? Lately the best we've had is my husband in the bed with one dog, and me on the foldout couch with the other dog. Unfortunately our dogs never learned how to sleep on the floor... Or by themselves....

2005 Arctic Fox 22H
2004 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
Hensley Arrow Hitch

foxyrvlady
10-16-2006, 02:48 AM
I see you are also "Lab-adored!" When our dog was younger, we crated him at night--our Nash 26J had a narrow front door and we could barely get the crate in the trailer. The 25R with a slide has more room, but it was still pretty tight. He started to get stiff when cratedas he got older and we got the jumbo crate--no room for that. He would start out on his mat beside my side of the bed, but would sneak in with us before morning. I covered the couch with a throw, don't have to open it up for one dog, and let him sleep there--he isn't a furniture dog, except for the bed and didn't know what to think. He manages to stay there about 75% of the time now. I WILL NOT give up my bed, even for our beloved dog!

sly old fox
10-16-2006, 04:11 PM
We camp with two Border Collies - a 4mo old male pup and an 8yr old female. My DW made the mistake of letting the now 8yr old sleep with us as a pup - now she simply heads for the bed whenever we are in the rig. We are trying to break her of this and letting her sleep on the sofa - we cover it with a blanket - but she still manages to sneak over onto the bed by morning :Xand usually heads for the front end of the TT -- she needs a backrest :Dand then proceds to push us out of bed.

We have only been out twice with the pup - he likes the sofa and curls up in the corner next to the outside wall. Hopefully he will get used to sleeping by himself and not want to join us in bed.

Also our older dog will not walk up the hallway - we think that the vents in the floor spook her - if we conver them with a throw rug she will sometimes come up to the dinette.

Good luck with your Labs

Ranch Flunky
10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Carol and Gary,

Welcome to the forum! I see you have received good advice on the set-up steps. You just have to find out what works for you and then make it a routine. I have developed the habit of performing a "circle of safety" not only for the hitching up for the trip, but at each stop and upon setting up at camp. I just "eyeball" all the windows, door, openings, fastners, tires, etc. That helps me remember anything I had forgotten and ensure nothing has changed since I stopped.

As for your "friends", ours, like sly old fox, like the sofa the best. We lay it flat, spread blankets, and they generally stay on that "side". Of course they tend to place their heads on the back of the sofa and plead their case to join us in the bed. But it gets just too tight in that double bed!;):P

We have tried the dinette (also laid flat into a bed...), but that just seemed too far away from us, from their perspective!:P

Good luck, and have fun

Eric