PDA

View Full Version : Delamination

GreyFoxes-22H
09-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Have a 2010 Arctic Fox and starting to see some delamination on the back and maybe on the front. Factory has given us a date to bring it in and have it replaced if needed. Has anyone else had a problem like this that the factory got involved in? If so how did it turn out and how much time did it take?

CG_Pilot
09-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Yep I had the same problem on my 2008 27-5. Stopped by the factory on my way through LaGrande and they took a good look at the rig and found a couple places I had not yet noticed. They ended up replacing both sides of the RV. Since I did not have an appointment I had to leave the rig for six weeks but when I picked it up it was good as new. I believe the actual work only took a couple days. Too bad we had the de-lam problems in the first place but I was very pleased with Northwood's response. Made me a happy customer.

AnyLuck
09-05-2010, 10:21 PM
What got you attention to the delamination, is it bubbles under the skin , or cracking ?

GreyFoxes-22H
09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi anyluck, It was the bubbles on the back. It looks like the glue is not holding and there are a few large bubbles both front and back. No cracking at this time. I am encouraged by what CG-Pilot had done to his trailer. The factory has been very good about this and we are looking forward to having it done and back on the road end of Oct.

krev
09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Not sure you'd call ours a delam. On the two end walls of our slide at the bottom where there's a piece of trim. I guess it wasn't sealed you can see how the wood has swollen underneath. Someone obviously noticed this after the fact and caulked the trim with a dirty finger...grrr. Anyway it goes back to the dealer on Sunday for a couple of weeks to get this fixed, will let you know after how it turns out.

sly old fox
09-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Technically delamination requires a laminated surface to start with - the 22H does not have laminated construction - the walls are built from the inside out - the stud frames are attched to the floor, interior panels applied along with the cabinets - in fact most all of the interior is done before the filon is applied. When the filon is applied it is glued to the framing. Because it is only attached to the framing the filon will tend to look rippled - this is often mistaken for delamination.

Nash5r
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM
But can't that outer filon layer itself delaminate? I'm actually not sure of the exact definition of "filon" but what I see is a thin layer of fiberglass attached to a 1/4" or less layer of plywood. I would call the process of bonding the layers that make up the plywood itself as well as the process of adding the filon on top "lamination" and I would think any water penetration in that outer panel would cause and be called "delamination." Keep in mind that I could be totally wrong on the terminology as well as the manufacturing process, but it looks to me that water getting to an edge of that outer fiberglass/wood layer is big trouble. I understand that in some units the entire wall is a laminated structure -- in fact I think that is what I have on my Silver Fox 27-5L, but I mostly worry about water caused delamination on that outer layer.

sly old fox
09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
My understanding is that the Filon - which is simply a fiberglass material - is applied directly to the studs - there is no luan backer - unless it is a very thin veneer that is actually part of the Filon. The units I saw on tour were complete to the wall stage, I asked how they finished the exterior and was told about gluing the Filon or back then stapleing the alum siding. We also saw how the Silver Fox units were made - that is a true laminated wall construction.