Celia's Gourmet Foods Lacey Things

Thread: Looking for advice on best route from Crescent City, CA to I-80.

Looking for advice on best route from Crescent City, CA to I-80.

The end-point of our summer vacation this year will at Redwood National Park. After that we need to get back to Illinois soon, which means finding the quickest and safest way back to Interstate-80. Google maps tells me I should take Route 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass, then Interstate 5 to Medford and then Route 140 west from Medford to Route 95 and then Route 95 to I-80. We will be towing our loaded AF27E with a Suburban 2500 8.1.

My Question: Is the 199/I-5/140/95 route from Crescent City to I-80 going to have some steep, hard on the trans, and white knuckles sections? With my semi-heavy travel trailer would I be better to take I-5 south to I-80 in California?

Regards, Ed
    eddiefast (a.k.a. Ed in Illinois)
    [Ed, Kerry and kids]
    2006 AF27E, 2004 Suburban 8.1 with 4.10, ProPride with 1400# bars, Prodigy
    Avatar: Camping at Crescent Beach RV Park, Olympic Peninsula.

Site Supporter
    Two years go we were in Crescent City and going to Sacramento. Two locals in a coffee shop told us that Route 199 to Grants Pass and then down I-5 to Sacramento was the way to go. 199 to Grants Pass was not a problem and my rig is similar to yours although you have more power. I can't speak to the Medford on part of the trip, but I would avoid I-80 from Sacramento to Reno because of the condition of the road.
    1999 Suburban, K2500, 454, 4.10
    *2000 Arctic Fox 29V

ED

They just announced on the News friday night that there was going to be 1 lane traffic for several miles on I-80, I believe from Truckee to Blue Canyon area.

The last time I was over that section, it was rougher than a corn cob. I would find a smoother better route, even it took longer, because of the wear and TEAR on the TV/TT on those ROUGH ROADS, might cost you more than the time saved, IMHO.

You might want cut a day off the Redwoods end and then use that day for driving 299 to Redding/I-5 to Hwy 44 thru Lassen Park to Hwy 36 down to Susanville then to Reno, (better than I-80 by a long shot), will be slower, but after you are in the Lassen High county, it's is bacially down hill to Reno, with LOTS BETTER scenery.
    Don
    *Don & Francie, 1 Aussie "Bud Bear", 1 Kelpy "Chance", "Shep" RIP 6/25/11
    2010 F350, 6.7L, PSD, CC, SWB, SRW, 6 spd man, 4x4, 3.55LS, Caravan Camper w/50gal bed tank of motion lotion, 2-1/2" reciever w/1700# Husky WD Hitch, leading a 2009 DF 28KS SFE, 05 Honda Rubicon ATV w/Rumble seat/foot pegs, w/Garmin 60CSx GPS mounted between the handle bars w/Ext Antenna, 2 gun Custom Built Gun rack for Rifle or Shotgun

Avatar: Coyote talkin to the Moon, Smartest 4 legged Critter alive!

ED,
    "The end-point of our summer vacation this year will at Redwood National Park. After that we need to get back to Illinois soon, which means finding the quickest and safest way back to Interstate-80. Google maps tells me I should take Route 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass, then Interstate 5 to Medford and then Route 140 west from Medford to Route 95 and then Route 95 to I-80. We will be towing our loaded AF27E with a Suburban 2500 8.1."

I got to thinking about the Google map instructions, (I hope you don't miss Crater Lake, it has some priceless views.)

If you are talking about the Redwoods National Park south of Crescent City, the route that was given by Google will have you going back to the North into Oregon, then to Grants Pass, to I-5, that is back tracking and a big loop, to I5.

From the Redwook Nat Park, you will be on the Coast Hiway 101, then you stay on 101 South untill you hit Arcata, then turn East on SR 299 to Redding, along the Trinty River to Whiskey Town then to Redding. Then take SR 44 East from Redding to Lassen Park, (should be open) if not, take 44/95 North for about 14 miles to Old Station, right turn on SR 44 to Susanville.

If Lassen Park is open, then drive thru it (worth the trip) and make left turn on Hwy 36, then to Susanville, the Childs Meadow section is is worth the drive (to me) .

Get a State Map of Northen Calif and Oregon and you can see what I am taking about. I don't trust any on line map, they are not accuate IMHO.
    Don
    *Don & Francie, 1 Aussie "Bud Bear", 1 Kelpy "Chance", "Shep" RIP 6/25/11
    2010 F350, 6.7L, PSD, CC, SWB, SRW, 6 spd man, 4x4, 3.55LS, Caravan Camper w/50gal bed tank of motion lotion, 2-1/2" reciever w/1700# Husky WD Hitch, leading a 2009 DF 28KS SFE, 05 Honda Rubicon ATV w/Rumble seat/foot pegs, w/Garmin 60CSx GPS mounted between the handle bars w/Ext Antenna, 2 gun Custom Built Gun rack for Rifle or Shotgun

Avatar: Coyote talkin to the Moon, Smartest 4 legged Critter alive!

I agree with NVLOADERs suggestion.
    We have made the trip from Reno to Hat Creek and back many times.
    Also, I-80 has been referred to as "The Luge" by body shops in Reno during summer construction times.
    Adrian (and Becky)
    FoxTraveLog:
    2013: 8431 miles, 91 nights, 27 sites
    2014: 1349 miles, 15 nights, 5 sites
    Fox miles 16126

2007.5 Chev 2500HD Dmax LMM/Allison, Crew SB 4x4 3.73 SRW LTZ with high top Leer Shell, LT285/65R18 Nitto TerraGrappler, F-stone air bags/Air Lift controller, 45 gal TransferFlo, AFE intake, MBRP DPF-back, lift and step-stool
    ProPride 1400# WD
    2010 Arctic Fox 30U, LT235/85R16 BFG Commercial T/A Trac, Mor/Ryde SRE4000
    Avatar is site at Rancheria RV Park, Hat Creek, CA

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I'll try my best to stay away from the "Luge."
    eddiefast (a.k.a. Ed in Illinois)
    [Ed, Kerry and kids]
    2006 AF27E, 2004 Suburban 8.1 with 4.10, ProPride with 1400# bars, Prodigy
    Avatar: Camping at Crescent Beach RV Park, Olympic Peninsula.