Celia's Gourmet Foods Lacey Things
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bend, OR to St. George UT. which way is the best?

Bend, OR to St. George UT. which way is the best?

We have to go from Bend, OR to St. George Utah in 2 weeks and are wondering which way would be the best route. I have been from Bend to Salt Lake City going through Boise, Twin Falls and down to SLC on the freeways, but have never been anywhere close to the suggested route that Google wants me to take through Nevada. Not sure what to expect, especially this time of year with the weather. Any and all suggestions, or guidence would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, my time frame is leaving around noonish on Monday and I have to be in St. George on Tuesday no later than 4pm their time. Thanks in advance everyone!!!
    2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
    Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
    2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
    Celia's Gourmet Foods
    Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Balsamic Vinaigrettes

Weather is the biggest variable of concern.
    Our local weather guessers are indicating a slight chance of showers for next weekend and Monday.

I let MS (bing.com/maps) provide a suggested route, then “modified” the route to be mostly freeway and found that it was an extra 120 miles and an extra hour and twenty minutes. (958 miles, 14 hr 41 min)
    This map program is geared for cars.

The Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator has a preferences option that allows setting speed and rest values. You can also indicate Interstates, highways, State Roads, and Other Roads choice preferences. I chose 55mph with a 10 min stop every two hours (952 mi, 17 hr 20 min.)

The main roads in Nevada are mostly two-lane and generally smooth.

You might be better off taking the freeway route since you have a time constraint. It’s harder to block a freeway than a two lane road by parking sideways (on purpose or not.)
    Adrian (and Becky)
    FoxTraveLog:
    2013: 8431 miles, 91 nights, 27 sites
    2014: 2454 miles, 21 nights, 8 sites
    Fox miles 17231

2007.5 Chev 2500HD Dmax LMM/Allison, Crew SB 4x4 3.73 SRW LTZ with high top Leer Shell, LT285/65R18 Nitto TerraGrappler, F-stone air bags/Air Lift controller, 45 gal TransferFlo, AFE intake, MBRP DPF-back, lift and step-stool
    ProPride 1400# WD
    2010 Arctic Fox 30U, LT235/85R16 BFG Commercial T/A Trac, Mor/Ryde SRE4000
    Avatar is site at Rancheria RV Park, Hat Creek, CA

I also do not like the first option Google put up - you are in wilderness between Bend and Winnemucca - can you go that far without stopping for fuel? and then again you will need to go the next leg to St George. It has been many years since I last traveled between Las Vegas and Winnemucca - but I remember all the signs about limited fuel and water stops between the two. I know that it will add about 130 mi and 2 hours to your journey - but having the security of the interstate as well as more chances to stop for fuel would make it a much safer route esp this time of year.
    Sly Old Fox
    2005 AF 22H
    2007 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab.
    Avatar - camping at Wolf Creek County Park, Wolf Creek OR

X2 Sly Old Fox's comments. I have traveled several of the routes (6, 50, 93, and 95) through Nevada (in the summer time) without a trailer. I would avoid traveling many of them in the winter as you have multiple mountain ranges to cross with at least one nearly 7500' and others at the 6500' level. It is a long way between any kind of services and it could take you longer even though the distance is shorter. You didn't say if you would be pulling a trailer but if so, definitely stay on the Interstate.
    Glen & Linda
    2013 26X Arctic Fox
    2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
    DiamondBack SE Bed Cover
    Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
    Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

3X to both GIandlj & Sly Old Fox's comments. I've been on most of the 2 lane roads in central & eastern Nevada while driving my Toyota 4Runner as my daughter was going to college in Cedar City, Utah from 2001-2005. I saw plenty of snow in the late winter & early spring on the higher passes. I don't think these roads would be my first choice this time of year if I were pulling a trailer.
    2011 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Double-Cab w/5.7
    2008 AF 22H

I will not have the trailer, but the truck will be loaded with about 2000 lbs of product as we are doing 2 weeks in both St. George and SLC. Uphill in the snow would not be a problem but downhill with that much weight is not something I want to do in the snow and ice. Looks like the freeway through SLC is the best choice, thanks for all the input!!!!
    2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
    Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
    2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
    Celia's Gourmet Foods
    Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Balsamic Vinaigrettes

Tom, I'm certain you and Jill are smart enough at least Jill is ) but look at that route carefully before you leave. If you are driving straight through, never let your tank get too low. If you are looking for a place to stay a few hours, be aware there isn't much choice after you turn south on 84 in the bottom of Idaho! Dave and I made this trip in December--49 years ago! Hopefully much has changed with the advent of the freeway system. We got caught late at night, reports on the radio of snow coming, and no place to stop for the night. It was very late at night before we finally found a motel with it's lights on--woke up the owner and got a place to stay. There was no room to sleep in our overloaded '56 Chev--we were on the way to Ft. Sam Houston for Dave's initial Army training. I imagine now there are options--truck stops for fuel and possible motels. We learned a lesson we never forgot that night! We got through SLC before the snow hit and had a beautiful trip from then on down through Grand Canyon and on to Texas. Wishes for a good, safe trip and successful shows!
    Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
    2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires
    2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, SRW, HO CTD, 3.73, 48RE, Jake Brake, 204K Miles by 1 December 2014

Stay on the interstates in the Winter. Plows keep them cleared and sanded more dependably than two lanes.
    1997 F250HD
    2011 Arctic Fox 22H
    XT225, DRZ400, K75, R65
    Avatar: San Rafael Swell Eastern Utah

Hey, Shotgun! I have lived in UT the past 40 years - and would you believe that they HAVE actually "straightened the road out" literally between me and you (I live in central UT). I regularly travel between the Provo/Orem, UT area and the State of Washington - and the freeway is now absolutely the way you would wish to go to have a shot at having a decent ride to St. George.....especially at this time of year. I really do not recommend going thru Nevada as we have already had a pretty nifty pounding of snow, which has been early for us. However, the freeway system is not too bad - the worst stretch is now Southern Idaho - but, it simply is what it is. If you need any maps, help, or whatever, feel free to holler!!! I usually travel alone, and I have made it thru some pretty nasty weather, and all in one piece. You will be fine. You have a great rig that will handle anything thrown at it. And, you will always find some help if you need it. Can't tell you how many people I have stopped to help. It is always an adventure!
    Lura
    '06 Arctic Fox 19B
    '06 Chev Classic 2500 Diesel 6.6-LBZ/6spd-Allison /Crew Cab /Short Bed/ EFI Live
    52 gal $$$ Titan Fuel Tank /MaxBrake /Equal-i-zer /Honda EU2000i companion
    EnKay mudflaps /DrawTite Class V HD Hitch
    '12 450i GT Arctic Cat ATV, DiamondBack ATV Carrier

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Shotgun,

I have travelled from Boise to St. George along I-84 and I-15 many times, mostly in the winter pulling our AF 22G. But I stopped that process after jackknifing on I-84 on a flat stretch just 30-40 miles east of Boise. A passing min-van was just enough of a nudge to set the rig into a lateral drift. The road bed was a solid packed snow and ice base, I was traveling about 35 mph, summer tires, no chains but in 4 wheel drive. We were on our way to Southern California after a visit in SLC.

My only suggestion is to regularly check the weather in Snowville, UT. From my experience, that is the most weather sensitive area.

But you are early in the season and should have an easy trip.

Bob
    Last edited by rncordy; 11-15-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Typo
    Bob and Nancy
    ======
    Proud former owners of a 2011 Arctic Fox 25R (2010-2013) and an Arctic Fox 22G from (2001-2010). Current happy owners of Northwood cross-town cousin.
    ---------
    2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB, Cummins, 4X4, Snugtop, 1,200#/12,000# Equal-i-zer.
    Retired: "Twice the husband, half the money"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast