Celia's Gourmet Foods Lacey Things

Thread: Help on a Nash 17C

Help on a Nash 17C

Hi everyone, & Happy New Year!
    Still looking for a 17C, & maybe found 2.
    I need to pick your brain, or at least get your opinion. I have located a 2005 hard sided 17C, & a 2006 metal sided 17C. The owners seem to be asking the same $$. Is one model preferred over the other? How about price, any thoughts or ideas?
    Thank you for your time & information.
    Kent
    Kent & Helen
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
    Looking for a 17C

We've had both in Northwood products and we far prefer the hard sides. Even thought our aluminum sided 1996 Nash had a triple insulation package, the 2002 Fox stays warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot. It also doesn't dent if you get caught in a big hailstorm. I've seen aluminum trailers in central Oregon destroyed by a big hailstorm. On the other hand, it is cheaper to repair siding on an aluminum trailer (but is easier to damage) than on a fiberglass one. You need to carefully look for delamination (bubbles) in the fiberglass--that is an expensive job to replace. It is my opinion that the hard sided trailers flex less--I've come to that conclusion when standing in the trailer as Dave pulls it off the leveling blocks--but that's only my opinion! The hard sided ones cost more new. I'd go with the one in the best condition.
    Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
    2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires
    2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, SRW, HO CTD, 3.73, 48RE, Jake Brake, 200K Miles on 8/16/14!

The 17C was the only trailer produced that did not include heated water and waste tanks as standard features - and therefore does not have the 4 Seasons sticker on it. If one of these two units has the 4 Seasons sticker on it then it has the heated tank option. Otherwise I would get the one that is in the best shape - but would lean towards the hard side unit.
    Sly Old Fox
    2005 AF 22H
    2007 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab.
    Avatar - camping at Wolf Creek County Park, Wolf Creek OR

South Texas, ............a whole 'nother country
    Kent,
    I have aluminum siding and know that it looks out of date, but will mention a couple of the positives in case you find that unit to be in the best overall condition, althought heated tanks trumps just about everything else.

Hail damage to aluminum is covered by insurance. If hard sided leaks and delaminates insurance will not cover and cost to fix is major $$$
    Fiberglass will yellow with age but aluminun stays bright white
    Aluminum adds less weight to GVWR

I don't disagree with any of the advantages of hard siding noted above and would also lean that way if there is no delamination present. Sight the sides and front and rear cap for slight bulges. The surfaces should be flat. Best of luck.

Ken
    dieselhorse: Former owner of a 2001 Nash 24-5N

Thank you all, to have take your time to reply. You have most certainly given me new things to think of. I have great respect for your opinions,you have been there & done that.
    When a forum is run like this one, it is a very helpful tool.
    Kent
    Kent & Helen
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
    Looking for a 17C

Quote Originally Posted by dieselhorse View Post
    Sight the sides and front and rear cap for slight bulges. The surfaces should be flat. Best of luck.

Ken
    Just be careful not to mistake delamination for raised seam areas under the filon. Northwood could of done a better job on my new TC as far as skinning the thing. There are several areas where the backer board has a seam and this causes the filon to have a raised seam and is very noticeable, especailly in cold weather. It is NOT delamination, but its a cosmetic issue that could be mistaken for delamination. I was at the factory within the first year and I showed it to the factory sup. He didnt have much to say and could not give a reason for it. He did tell me that they switched to a different backer board material in 2010. Im not sure about that. The good thing is it doesnt get any worse and its less noticeable in the warmer months.
    2009 Chevy 3500 DRW with Duramax/Allison
    Supersprings, Torklift stable loads, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks.
    2010 AF 1140, 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, total of 65 additional mods to TC (so far)

Our first trailer was a Nash 17c with metal sides. We own a park model Hyline trailer at a local lake, 1994 model, with metal sides and it still looks like new when washed and waxed. Have had two Fox trailers with hard sides. I think now I would choose metal if given an equal option. The lamination issue is the main thing. Look very closely at the hard sided one for bulges as has been mentioned. Northwood had some early p roblems with their filon sides that did delaminate and bulge The heated tanks are nice if you plan on camping when it get below freezing, but not much of an issue if you go from April through October and park for the winter. We have had three northwood units, not one problem with any of them.Our 17c was a 2005 with metal sides. Good Luck
    If the one you are looking at is in California, some dealer I found on Google, it looks like a nice one. Just like my old one.
    Gary & Connie Burchill; Maggie and Michico the traveling Shih Tzu's
    2012 toyota tundra dbl. cab, tow package,5.7 6spd.
    2014 Nash 23D, Honda 200i
    Avatar:Sun set on Loon Lake, Wa.

I have had 2 Northwood products. The first was a 2002 Nash 29V with aluminum siding. I had several problems with leaks around the windows. It is harder to get a good seal around the aluminum siding due to the structure of the aluminum the way it is rippled. I put a lot of miles on this trailer (well over 30,000 miles on the road) and had several perforations on the front of the trailer due to corrosion possibly from bug and rock hits. It is amazing how much water can leak in through a tiny pin hole leak. Had a lot of structure and insulation replaced as well as the siding in the front over the window because of water damage. That is one reason I am sold on the hard siding.
    Dave & Marie Thomas*
    2002 Nash 29V 2001-2011, 2011 AF27T Silver Fox Edition 2011 to present.
    2001 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Box 7.3 diesel 150,000 mi & counting, Stockland Canopy Super Chip programmer DeBoe/DoMore Step
    K&N Filter Max Brake Controller Tailgate E-Z lift, TST TPMS
    2009 Toyota Venza V6 AWD
    2006 Hewescraft 16ft Sportsman w 50 horse Honda