Celia's Gourmet Foods Lacey Things
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering Nash 23B or 25C

Question Considering Nash 23B or 25C

Hi everyone! Just recently joined the forum and wanted to say hi. I'm considering the Nash 23B or 25C and wanted to touch base on a couple of things and introduce myself. I live in Central Oregon and currently have a Northstar TC650 which is a great popup truck camper. But, realizing it might not be the best fit going forward. I have 2 little girls, ages 4.5 and 6.5, that camp with me a lot which is a blast. And, take a dog sometimes. Coming from the backpacking/tent camping world, having some amenities with young girls - a furnace, place to wash hands, porta potti inside, etc., was a blessing and the portability of a truck camper is nice. They love the adventures.

I've had the popup TC close to a couple of years now and realized that a trailer might be a better fit. I have an 08 Crewmax Tundra with only a 5.5' bed, so that led me into the smaller truck camper. We have lots of memories in it but in the market for a bunk trailer max'ing out in the mid 20's for length. I've researched a ton of models from rear-slides that are short in length, no slides, slides, and many manufacturers. I keep coming back to Northwood as what feels right and like that it is in Oregon as well. I've also started looking at the Creekside 23BHS as a potential option and still understanding the full differences with Nash. Understand they might be using a bit lower quality materials but construction is still solid. Being a single dad, budget is of concern so want to understand the cost/benefit there while also having something for the longterm.

I put airbags in my Tundra and also have 10-ply tires on it to make the truck camper experience better. The towing capacity appears that it would handle the 23B and 25C but wanted to get it in front of people with real world experience. Safety is important to me. I would consider a WD hitch and whatever would make sense or recommended. We camp mostly in forest service campgrounds within a couple of hours but with more space and amenities, would like to use it for coast trips, longer explorations, etc. We ski/snowboard/snowshoe and like the winter time and the girls would be up for camping into the colder weather. The 6 year old asked to camp in the snow last year which was fun, so hit an early summer snowstorm up at Paulina with a couple of inches overnight.

So, hello, thanks for reading and I would love your feedback on the fit for my tow vehicle and anything else you might like to share for these Nash and Creekside models. I'm still considering other brands...but like I said, kind of keep coming back here.
    Mike
    2008 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 TRD 5.7L
    Northstar TC650 popup truck camper
    *currently in the market for a bunk trailer, considering Nash 23B & 25C so joined NROA!

Site Supporter
    Here -- http://www.afnash.com/showthread.php...ll=1#post94944 -- is another thread that touches on these two trailers.
    -- David

Purpose: www.davidmc.org
    Home: 2007 Arctic Fox 27E which dutifully follows a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 to new neighborhoods.

DavidMc - appreciate the quick response and that thread. I had found that and read it a few times and some good stuff in there, for sure. I mostly wanted to introduce myself to the group and also see what people thought. Just checked out your site - thanks for your work there! Blessings, Mike
    Mike
    *currently in the market for a bunk trailer, considering Nash 23B & 25C so joined NROA!

Too bad, but we are not supposed to discuss Great Outdoors products here. However having camped with two kids you are smart looking at a bunkhouse. Either of the units you are considering would work for your family. I went back and read the other thread. I will try to not repeat too much. For your current truck the 23B would probably be the eaisest to tow - but there is only around 800lbs difference in dry wts. Which is about the weight of the slide. As far as the extra door in the rear I see it as a double edged sword - if you ever had a problem like a fire that door could be a real lifesaver - even though the lower (and maybe even the upper) bunk windows should be emergency exits. It could also make for an easy way to sneak out . You can't go wrong with either. I also think that your Tundra should be able to handle either one just fine. I would look into a hitch with both WD and anti-sway equipment - something like the eq-liz-er brand.
    Sly Old Fox
    2005 AF 22H
    2007 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab.
    Avatar - camping at Wolf Creek County Park, Wolf Creek OR

sly old fox - thanks much for the reply and appreciate the info. Definitely didn't meant cross any lines with mentioning another brand and honestly, kind of threw that in there at the end thinking it was part of the family to a degree (understand the difference) and had just started looking at it. My first preference probably would be one of those Nash models so look forward to any discussions about those. Thanks again for the reply.
    Mike

Welcome! You say this trailer will be a keeper for a while, with that in mind the extra floor space will be nice as the kids get bigger. There's also more storage and a bigger kitchen in the 25. The difference in length isn't going to be noticeable in towing. We've had trailers from 16' up to 32'. In our recent change from 28 to 32' it took us one trip to adjust to the difference in towing. Good luck with your decision.
    Pam & Steve
    2012 Arctic Fox 30U, Riviera Dune with a dream dinette
    2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

See my signature below, I tow with your truck, same engine and drive train if you have the 5.7liter. Either trailer will not give you any trouble weight wise. I do agree with Pam and Steve above, you may like the extra space with the 25c over time. We have a 22h, which for the two of us is OK, but i would love more move around space inside, so a 25r would be our next move or the 23d of Nash's since you get the slide. Weight distributiing hitch is the only way to go, but I would wait until you get your trailer and tow it before adding the extra expense of sway control unless you spend the extra money on an equalizer or similar hitch with it built in. I have never felt I needed sway control with my 22h, but it is 3 ft. shorter than either of these two, so that may make a difference. Etrailer on the web has the best deal on hitches and include free shipping. Got mine there for $200 less than what they wanted for a similar one in Spokane. they handle all the major brands. If you get one there, have your trailer dealer set it up for you when you buy your trailer. They also have the brake controllers and if you get the Tundra wiring harness with the controller, it is a plug in operation, the truck is prewired under the dash for a plug in brake controler.
    Good LUCK. YOur girls are lucky kids to have a dad that wants to do the camping thing with them.
    Gary
    Gary & Connie Burchill; Maggie and Michico the traveling Shih Tzu's
    2012 toyota tundra dbl. cab, tow package,5.7 6spd.
    2014 Nash 23D, Honda 200i
    Avatar:Sun set on Loon Lake, Wa.

pamvanw - appreciate the response and thoughts! Hope you are enjoying the new trailer, summer is almost here.
    Mike

b7xv - yep, looks like we have the same rig (I have the 5.7L as well) but you got a few years new on me. It's been a good, reliable truck so far.

Apologize for the delayed response. I really appreciate your insight and feedback on all the items you mentioned.

Appreciate the comment about the girls. Yeah, it's been a blessing to have them out so much. First time I took them camping was in a tent and I had them out for a 3 day weekend for my birthday. The youngest had just turned 2 and the oldest was still 3. The youngest actually got a stomach flu or something on the trip...but we overall had a blast and I have incredible memories of that very first trip. (wasn't easy every minute during it, lol). We camp quite a bit, but we always do a yearly trip back to that same campground on my birthday which has been a fun tradition. It's fun to get them out in the outdoors and they have a good time.

Thanks again for the response - it was helpful.

Best, Mike
    Mike

Skers95;

First of all, Go Big Red!

Second, I'm fairly certain that we are in the EXACT same boat trailer wise. Deciding between the 23b and 25c with 2 little girls (turning 4 and 6 soon). I'm concerned about overloading the TV not because of the numbers, but because of the terrain where I live and camp.

We're in Wyoming tucked up against the mountains. Most of my towing would be less than 100 miles from the house (many times less than 20) but there's considerable elevation gain/loss around here (3-4k ft vertical in the 20 mile scenario) and then there's the famous, er infamous, Wyoming Wind...

The dry weight is 636 lbs difference and from what I can tell, that's the only disadvantage of the 25c (along with the extra $). I'm leaning hard towards the 25c at this point. If we start to venture further away from home, a 3/4 ton or diesel upgrade in the near future isn't out of the question.

I've appreciated your thread as it has essentially pre-answered my question.

Good luck on your decision.

Also, would appreciate anybody's $.02 about the whether the bigger trailer (25c) and it's 636 lbs would be of much concern.
    TV: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L Laramie
    TT: Nash 25c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast