Lacey Things Celia's Gourmet Foods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 2014 Specs on Northwood's Site

New 2014 Specs on Northwood's Site

I am not sure if this is the right pace, please move it if it is. I just glanced at the 2014 specs for a 27-5L and it looks like Northwood has been listening when it comes to the weights on the 5th. Wheels. GVWR, Pin Weights, Water Tanks and more have changed. That new pin weight on the 27-5L would have helped me out quiet a bit. Maybe the specs on all the 2014 Fifth Wheels are wrong, I see that all their weights went down and lengths went up. The 2014 27-5L has a length of 29.5 feet and a pin weight of 1489 that's 466 lbs. less than the 2013.
    Last edited by sonora108; 06-17-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Bill & Gloria
    2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L. 2002 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, 6 Speed Tranny. B&W Companion, Trace TM500A Battery Monitor. Prodigy P3 Brake Controller. 2 Trojan T105's. RVS770613-213 Rear View Camera with Trailer Quick Connect. USN Retired.

Site Supporter
    maybe a silly question but how does Northwoods listen to "us", the end consumer.
    Is there a questionaire done on improvements ,or do they listen just to the dealer network - who have a financial interest in selling more product.
    Dont get me wrong -love the changes (pin weight /length) to the 27-5L. maybe a 3/4 ton PU will work now. Im in the market for a 27-5 and the changes have cemented my choice to AF ..now a 2014 model..
    Do they read the mods blogs here.? Or do they all have an RV for the weekend to use - hope the design team and decision makers actually have overnighted in one of each type Northwood makes..

if someone has insight to how /why changes are made ..maybe reply...
    wish list ; 2011(or newer) GMC 3500 diesel pulling new AF 27-5L

Hope Im not so tired when Im re-tyred.

It has been said that the primary resume' requirement for an RV designer is to have never spent even one night in one.

I do know that in the "olden" days that Ron Nash had a trailer (a Nash...) that he used and lent to employees.

Bob
    Bob and Nancy
    ======
    Proud former owners of a 2011 Arctic Fox 25R (2010-2013) and an Arctic Fox 22G from (2001-2010)
    ---------
    2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB, Cummins, 4X4, Snugtop, 1,200#/12,000# Equal-i-zer.
    Retired: "Twice the husband, half the money"

Ron's old trailer was at the rally--they use it for the caulking demos. If you have suggestions, get in touch with Northwood! The design and production folks do listen! At the rally, they had a bunch of models for us to go through there at the RV Park. There was a comments sheet in each one--and they were well used!
    Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
    2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries
    2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, SRW, HO CTD, 3.73, 48RE, Jake Brake, 193K Miles and counting....

As for RV designs ideas - yes the folks at Northwoods monitor these forums - they also build prototypes and show them to dealers and other focus groups (like our rally). They also rebuild them to add modifications as suggested by the groups. As for the interiors, well I have seen lots of changes in my over 30 years of being around RVs - and have been pleasantly surprised in some of the most recent innovations - specifically the countertops, L shaped kitchens and the new lounge style dinettes. I also remember some of the things that did not stand the test of time - mainly the 5th wheel with the living room in the overhead and fold up bunks.
    Sly Old Fox
    2005 AF 22H
    2007 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab.
    Avatar - camping at Wolf Creek County Park, Wolf Creek OR

There certainly have been lots of improvements over the years!

But rigs are still produced that do not include a proper space for a trash can! (see separate thread on our favorite forum.) Does anybody not need a trash can in their rig?

And my favorite complaint: Axle hub bearings that have to be lubricated every year or 12,000 miles. How would you like to do that on your cars and trucks? It is such a simple fix but of course it costs a little more.

Did you hear the crash? I just fell off my soapbox..

Bob
    Bob and Nancy
    ======
    Proud former owners of a 2011 Arctic Fox 25R (2010-2013) and an Arctic Fox 22G from (2001-2010)
    ---------
    2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB, Cummins, 4X4, Snugtop, 1,200#/12,000# Equal-i-zer.
    Retired: "Twice the husband, half the money"

I will will go along with all units need a space for trash can, but when it comes to my wheel ends i will tear down, clean and inspect every year regardless of what type of lube system they install. Just my 2cents, Lance
    2014 Dodge Laramie 3500 Crew cab SRW 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 68RE, 3.42, Jake, B&W turn over ball with
    companion hitch, Herd Bumper,Tork-Lift Stable Load Quick Disconnects, 91 Gal RDS aux. fuel tank.
    2012 Dodge Dually RIP
    2007- 295E A/F, Steadyfast stabilizers, Onan, Equa-Flex suspension,Trail-Air Pin Box

Bob -

I do think Northwood listens but it would be great if they had something like a customer panel where real customers could sit down with Northwood marketing and design folks and talk about the real world use of their products. Northwood does have it's own internal critique sessions and they do hire outside consultants on things like interior designs.

I think since Ron and Sherrie are no longer involved in the company it certainly has changed - not saying its going in the wrong direction just different than what Ron and Sherrie would have done.

And Linda is right, I think they do read the comment sheets in the rigs at the rally - so that's a good thing.

And Bob, I agree with you on trash cans and axle lube - some of their decisions seem dumb to us but overall they are moving forward, making positive changes.

Bill
    Bill, Mary, and Scottie
    2004 Dodge 3500 CTD, 6-Speed, SRW
    2002 AF 27-5L (95,000 Miles)
    2009 Polaris RZR (the 2nd most fun thing you can do without actually laughing)

Quote Originally Posted by rncordy View Post

But rigs are still produced that do not include a proper space for a trash can! (see separate thread on our favorite forum.) Does anybody not need a trash can in their rig?

Bob
    Maybe in a 5th wheel they can put in a trap door where your garbage just goes into the bed of your truck? No need for a small can that way, and you can clean it out with a hose...

Quote Originally Posted by rncordy View Post

Did you hear the crash? I just fell off my soapbox..

Bob
    Not sure where you landed, but I think I am on the floor below you...
    2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
    Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
    2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
    Celia's Gourmet Foods
    Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Balsamic Vinaigrettes

Quote Originally Posted by triplel0455 View Post
    .... but when it comes to my wheel ends i will tear down, clean and inspect every year regardless of what type of lube system they install. Just my 2cents, Lance
    Lance -

Consider using a synthetic wheel bearing lube. Since we went synthetic, I only tear down once every other year and mostly its just to inspect the brakes - the bearings always look like new.

Bill
    Bill, Mary, and Scottie
    2004 Dodge 3500 CTD, 6-Speed, SRW
    2002 AF 27-5L (95,000 Miles)
    2009 Polaris RZR (the 2nd most fun thing you can do without actually laughing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast