Lacey Things Celia's Gourmet Foods

Thread: Reasonable deduction?

Reasonable deduction?

I was in the TH Den today doing some work on the skirting project, fired up the gen set to give it a little work out, which I do every 3-4 weeks. And to be extra safe, both doors,(12'w x14'H) were wide open, the West wind was blowing thru there at over 30+ mph, temps went from 40* inside to 5* above in about 30 seconds and I got cold real quick.

The stupid CO detector started blasting it's mouth off and never stopped till I shut off the gen set, HUH. There is NO WAY any exhaust fumes got into or could get into the TH with the amount of wind blowing thru those doors.

I am having a hard time understanding this CO detector. It is mounted inside the bedroom right by the door on the ceiling. I have looked on the www and can't seem to find out if, is CO is lighter than normal air or heavier? My reasoning on it is, it must be lighter as the detector is mounted on the ceiling.

The propane detector is mounted by the door and I know LPG is heavier than air and sinks into low spots.

The only thing I can think is, it just decided to give up the ghost and die at this time? I have never had a problem before with it. It got too cold for me inside the den and I went inside, my projects can wait till the temps raise a little.

Any suggestions on this CO detector?
    Tia,
    Don
    *Don & Francie, 1 Aussie, "Bud Bear", "Shep" RIP 6/25/11
    2010 F350, 6.7L, PSD, CC, SWB, SRW, 6 spd man, 4x4, 3.55LS, Caravan Camper w/50gal bed tank of motion lotion, 2-1/2" reciever w/1700# Husky WD Hitch, leading a 2009 SFE, DF 28KS, 05 Honda Rubicon ATV w/Rumble seat/foot pegs, w/Garmin 60CSx Gps mounted between the handle bars w/Ext Antenna, 2 gun Custom Built Gun rack for Rifle or Shotgun
    Avatar: Coyote talkin to the Moon, Smartest 4 legged Critter alive!

Site Supporter
    Is it a combination CO and Smoke detector?

If so, perhaps the Smoke side was complaining?
    Maybe the ceiling was the only "draft free" area in which a small pocket of fumes did gather?

...end of guesses...

One more -- temperature change (to much lower) might have changed the sensitivity or effective battery voltage?
    Last edited by DavidMc; 11-24-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: ...one more guess..
    -- David

Purpose: www.davidmc.org
    Home: 2007 Arctic Fox 27E which dutifully follows a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 to new neighborhoods.

Had the same thing happen three times with my propane detetetor, finally just disconnected it. there was no propane going at the time it started singing and it is hard wired. It was replaced under warranty, but twice more with the new said pull the fuse. Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air, so I think your noise was from the smoke detector, not the co detector. Could be a battery problem.
    Gary & Connie Burchill; Maggie and Michico the traveling Shih Tzu's
    2012 toyota tundra dbl. cab, tow package,5.7 6spd.
    2013 Arctic Fox 25r, Honda 200i
    Avatar: Spruce tree RV park, Kallispel, Mt.

Site Supporter
    There is no significant difference between the density of CO and air. In any event the gases will mix and the CO will be evenly distributed in a relatively short time. I have no idea what is wrong with your detector. Probably time for a new one.

If I had a choice of where to put a CO detector I would place it near the area I would want to protect. For me that would be near the head of the bed and at the level of the mattress. That is because I think that the most dangerous time is at night while asleep. The advantage is that while mixing is inevitable I don't know how much time is involved and I would want to know as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Grizzer10; 11-24-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    1999 Suburban, K2500, 454, 4.10
    *2000 Arctic Fox 29V

CO is slightly lighter than air. The CO detector is very sensitive I can easily guesstimate that you set it off in the situation you describe. The camper is not hermetically sealed. Any air getting into the RV will have CO with it. I once ran the generator outside the 27-5L with a bedroom window open a light breeze blowing. Bingo the CO detector was set off. IMHO, the ceiling is the place for the CO detector, since even slightly warmer air will rise along with the CO. First detection will be on the ceiling.
    Shane and Patty
    2003, 27-5L AF
    Chevy 2007, 3500 Dooley 4X4 LT3, Crew Cab, D/A
    Two Honda Eu 2000

Thanks everyone,
    This loud mouthed detector was the CO, as I know where each detector is located in the DF. The smoke detector (located in the main living are) has a different sound, as the better half must think I am a God, as she offers me a burnt offering every now and then , (joking Dear), and I have never had the LPG detector go off yet.

I got to slowly prowling around underneath the DF and found that one of the exhaust clean out plugs was loose about a turn or so, tighten that plug up a little, and will try this again, right now it is just above ZERO degrees (outside) and the inside temp of the DF den is 25* and inside the TH is 35*. I had to come inside and wrap my frozen finners around the hot wood stove. It's getting cold!

Thanks,
    Don
    2010 F350, 6.7L, PSD, CC, SWB, SRW, 6 spd man, 4x4, 3.55LS, Caravan Camper w/50gal bed tank of motion lotion, 2-1/2" reciever w/1700# Husky WD Hitch, leading a 2009 SFE, DF 28KS, 05 Honda Rubicon ATV w/Rumble seat/foot pegs, w/Garmin 60CSx Gps mounted between the handle bars w/Ext Antenna, 2 gun Custom Built Gun rack for Rifle or Shotgun

Site Supporter
    Don,

I know how you feel. Somehow we are having January in November. In Tahoe we are enjoying(?) a white thanksgiving; 4" of snow in the last few days.
    1999 Suburban, K2500, 454, 4.10
    *2000 Arctic Fox 29V

FYI,
    Here is some information I found while prowling around about CO, See here:

http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2...rbon-monoxide/

Seeing that CO is slightly lighter than air, that is the reason that the CO detector is mounted next to the ceiling. I had the top vents open, when I was running the Gen set and the detector is about 2-3' away from the vent hole.
    Don