Lacey Things Celia's Gourmet Foods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Island

Smile Vancouver Island

Has anyone ever taken their trailer to Vancouver Island? We are exploring this as a possible stop on a 4-5 week trip beginning around the first week in September. Any information about doing this would be greatly appreciated. Did you go from Washington or Canada? Are pets allowed, this could be a deal breaker if the dogs can't come with. We were on the island about 20 years ago, as a stop on the cruise we were on. Only had a half day there.
    Gordon-Mary Anne
    Sunny-Radar Rescue Dogs
    2011 Arctic Fox 25 S
    2011 Chevrolet HD 2500 6.0 4x4 Ext. Cab. 3.73
    Honda EU2000ia Equal-i-zer Hitch
    2013 Days Camped 25 Miles Towed 785

Well...we happen to live on Vancouver Island so I guess the answer is yes. We take our trailer off and on the island an average of 3 times per year. Have always taken BC Ferries from Nanaimo to either Horseshoe Bay (Vancouver) or Tsawwassen, just south of Vancouver. The ferry from Tsawwassen also goes to Victoria, our Provincial capital. Have never taken the Washington ferries to Victoria. You can get information on costs and schedules here http://www.bcferries.com/.

I guess I might be considered biased, but I think the Island is a great place to visit (and in our case, a great place to live) so come on over!

Cheers
    *Martin and Barb
    2006 Arctic Fox, 27E
    2011 GMC, Sierra 3500, Duramax
    2008 Can Am Outlander 650 MAX XT

We would love to visit Vancouver Island, but with the trailer it is pretty spendy! Just did a quick calculation--for us it would be about $230, one way. Used a mid-week, high season (July) date. RV's + Ferries = $$$$$!
    Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
    2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries
    2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, SRW, HO CTD, 3.73, 48RE, Jake Brake, 193K Miles and counting....

Site Supporter
    Going to Vancouver Island is definitely a good choice, even with a camper. I was fortunate enough to be stationed there with the U.S. Air Force at Canadian Forces Base Comox in the late 70's, so I got to know the island pretty well. I also went back on a trip four years ago where I traveled the length of the island, stopping many places along the way. The island is about four hundred miles long with plenty to see. Starting in Victoria, the Provincial Capital, you have the Parliament which puts on quite a tour. The British Columbia Museum of Natural History is also right off the Ferry from Port Angeles, Washington which is where I would recommend you start your tour. Don't forget the Bouchard Gardens just outside of Victoria I also recommend a trip to the west coast, but prepare for rain and extreme beauty. There are many areas where you can camp for free or a nominal fee, though they are mostly dry camping. Most, if not all, areas being logged are open to the public for camping. I did this for the most part when I went up. If you are a veteran, you can also camp at the Canadian Forces Base at Comox, it is listed in the MWR handbooks. Many of the campsites sit right on the Georgian Strait. I stayed at Telegraph Cove (look on the internet). Very nice and if you kayak, you'll love it there. I also went across to Alert Island where I stayed in a nice little campground and took walking tours around the island. There is a lot of Native history there. Famous for their Totems.
    2007 Nash 25P, electric hitch, Trojan T-105's, 300 watts solar, 300 watt inverter
    2008 Nissan Titan Pro 4 X 4 w/big tow
    Yamaha 2400
    cats: Belle and Cassy, my traveling companions.

Quote Originally Posted by foxyrvlady View Post
    We would love to visit Vancouver Island, but with the trailer it is pretty spendy! Just did a quick calculation--for us it would be about $230, one way. Used a mid-week, high season (July) date. RV's + Ferries = $$$$$!
    We always budget $500.00 per return trip when we leave the Island and at that price you dont really want to come over just for a day or two. As jjconroy has said, there is plenty to do and see on the Island and one could easily spend a couple of weeks over here.

Another website to check out.

http://http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/...uverIsland.htm

Cheers
    *Martin and Barb
    2006 Arctic Fox, 27E
    2011 GMC, Sierra 3500, Duramax
    2008 Can Am Outlander 650 MAX XT

Site Supporter
    JJ:

Do you have more info on vets using the Canadian Forces' base RV sites? Is there an internet site that focuses on these military base RV sites for Canada? Back in the 70's and 80's my helo squadron, HS-85 (now decommissioned), use to fly from NAS Alameda, California to Esquimalt and deploy aboard the HMCS Provider in support of various operations. I understand that the Provider is also now history. I was a member of several detachments and we visited ports all around the Pacific rim with our Canadian brothers. Regardless of any reputation to the contrary they can be a pretty wild bunch, both aboard and in port!! Thanks.

Gordon
    Gordon,Patrice,Patrick+Champ(Yellow Lab).
    Snapshot 2013:2441m/29nights/7sites
    30U/2010AF, ProPride(1,400#WD), Prodigy,
    F-350,03,6.0/Dsl,Fx4,auto,CC,SB,3.73,Man.Hubs,46gal.*
    RETIRED:NAVY/Aviator/Capt.(21+)+Civ.Atty.(28)
    Without recourse,there are no rights.

Site Supporter
    Gordan,

You can find the information on the MWR website where they list all the sites in the U.S.A and Canada for military active and retirees. I'm guessing that our veteran friends from Canada can also use the MWR campsites in the the U.S. The Campsite at Comox is nice, but I can't remember if they had all the hook-ups. I just showed them my Army Retired Reserve Military ID and I was allowed to camp there. The post has a museum which has some pictures of Americans who have served there. The Navy and Air Force have had personnel there for some time. There is a plaque at an airplane set-up just south of the post that commends the unit I served in, the 425Th Munitions support Squadron, Det. 5. The price was cheap 15-20 Canadian dollars per night. The view was spectacular. I too visited Esquimalt while stationed in Canada at Comox. I stayed in the enlisted billeting. I remember some grumpy old sailor waking me and my Canadian friend (Air Force who worked on the Argus), because we were still in our bunks. That post had an absolutely beautiful all ranks club over looking the pacific ocean. And my god could those Canadians party.
    2007 Nash 25P, electric hitch, Trojan T-105's, 300 watts solar, 300 watt inverter
    2008 Nissan Titan Pro 4 X 4 w/big tow
    Yamaha 2400
    cats: Belle and Cassy, my traveling companions.

Could you provide a URL (and definition) for MWR please?
    2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, SRW, HO CTD, 3.73, 48RE, Jake Brake, 193K Miles and counting....

MWR in this case means Morale, Welfare, and Recreation.
    All services have them. "My" Navy used to call it Special Services, but I don't remember what the other branches called theirs.
    We had our own "Navy" uniforms too. Not the current uni-service style. Um, that's off topic...

We just spent two days at Sharpe Army Depot RV park waiting for the chain restrictions to lift on I-80 over the Sierras.
    It made for a longer travel time than planned. Guess it's good we took our cats with us for the first time. Um, that's a different topic too.
    It's good to be back in the barn.
    Adrian (and Becky)
    FoxTraveLog:
    2013: 8431 miles, 91 nights, 27 sites
    2014: 938 miles, 9 nights, 3 sites
    Fox miles 15715

2007.5 Chev 2500HD Dmax LMM/Allison, Crew SB 4x4 3.73 SRW LTZ with high top Leer Shell, LT285/65R18 Nitto TerraGrappler, F-stone air bags/Air Lift controller, 45 gal TransferFlo, AFE intake, MBRP DPF-back, lift and step-stool
    ProPride 1400# WD
    2010 Arctic Fox 30U, LT235/85R16 BFG Commercial T/A Trac
    Avatar is site at Rancheria RV Park, Hat Creek, CA

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast